Monday 28 April 2008

Life in Huancayo

Life in Huancayo continues to treat us well. Nothing really to complain about, bit disapointing really. I have put a few pics up on my photo site if you want to see what it is like up here, pretty idilic. Ah, well lets see you lessons are going well, we need to spend a bit more energy disaplining than we are used to. Not that the kids are bad per say but just spirited. Well ok some are a little naughty but we are starting to get a decent amount of control and run games with minimal pushing, shouting, hitting and cheating. Made me miss Japan a little bit. I have been getting some decent study done, still nowhere near the productivity levels I managed in Japan but I think having a more set routine and place of my own their helped. Fingers crossed I will do OK in the exams, the maths one will be the hardest, for a bit I was wondering if I would be able to do it, now I think that maybe I will. The economic history course in contrast is keeping me very interested. I only wish I had more time to study it because it is so interesting. I think I am learning muchos about the world, how we got to where we are. Also changing my views on the British empire and certain prominent countries impacts on the world. I still can´t decide if I am a free tradist or a trade protectionist. Maybe most accurately I am a free tradist who think free trade is the aim but that it is not the method to get to that state. Anyway, moving on. I and Kel are taking dance lessons at the moment, we have our first two on this Sat and Sun past, respectively. Goodness I ache in places I have not ached in before. Good fun though, hopefully we get it down pat before we go, doing the Marinnera btw, a traditional peruvian dance but with spanish influence. The dance revolved around a man and woman flirting or courting. The woman acts all elegent and coy (but a little flirty) while the man acts like a horse. Also had a rocking day at the market, got some good hats. I really like peruvian hats, they have heaps of different kinds and they are all really good. Different regions and villages have their own unique hat style, its great, really great. Boy I like hats! The only bug in my bonnet is that the great felt hats they have are rather hard to transport. The felt will get all put out of shape if I pack it. Wearing it on your head is the only realiable way so I have only one felt hat. I have many more delightfully packable alpaca hats.

Toodles

Craig

3 comments:

Leashie said...

Your Peruvian life makes me jealous!!! GAH! Hope you and your lova are doing well! Scotland just enjoyed a heat wave, and has now gone back to being a bit cold and rainy. But the meadows were LOVELY!

xxx

japalinka said...

I have a feeling that the flirty dance came naturally to Kelly. :)
Acting like a horse, though. I really can't imagine what that means in dance terms. I suppose you guys will just have to demonstrate for me.

勉強で、がんばって、ね!

Roy said...

Hi Craig

We've never met, but I've just been appointed to Izena-son by JET. Thank goodness for your blog, it's sbout the only info I have found on the net and what I've read has been interesting and helpful... thanks. My first reaction about moving to such a small place (I've always lived among large populations) so far removed from the rest of the world (I had hoped to use Japan as a station to explore the rest of Asia during my time there, and it seems like that will be difficult and very expensive from Izena) is fear. I'm scared, man. What am I going to do all day? Who am I going to talk to when I just need to relax and just speak some good old English? Are there hot chicks or will I be forced into celibacy? I would really love to ask you some questions about your experience and maybe get some guidance on how to prepare... please email me at royprize@gmail.com if you get a chance... and you can erase this comment if you wish, commenting here was the best way I could find to reach you. Really, any words you can say to me about it right now would be so valuable and will be so appreciated. Thanks a lot and happy travels. -Roy